This update covers the PIVX GitHub development for the beginning of July 2020 through to the second week of August 2020 in addition to any extra announcements or news provided by the core development team.
So much development is happening in such a short period of time that it’s very difficult to keep up!
We are just very lucky to have such dedicated and skilled developers in PIVX making this project a stand out in this super crowded cryptocurrency space.
New Desktop wallet 4.2 is out!
Starting off Q3 with a bang, PIVX v4.2.0 core desktop wallet was released just last month! It includes a lot of core improvements under the hood.
For those running 4.1.1 currently, it’s not mandatory to update to 4.2.0. However, upgrading to the latest version is always recommended.
Sapling Integration Code has been revealed!
As if 4.2 release wasn’t big enough news already, core developer furszy has shocked the community this week by publishing the main Sapling protocol integration code for PIVX on github for public review!
After over 10 months of research, coding, and testing, the Zcash protocol specification was customized and structurally improved to run on top of the PIVX unique network. The end result? This PIVX-unique adaptation code is working already on regtest (private network) with zk-SNARKs shielded transactions to boot!
Editor note: Afaik, PIVX is the first non-Zcash fork integrating Sapling like this, and the first pure Proof of Stake coin to do it also. So this is an incredible feat to be able to publish this work this early. It also means that PIVX Privacy is really happening. So get ready to transfer and receive PIVX with full transaction privacy soon!
4.2.1 is also in the works!
Our development team just doesn’t stop! It looks like we will have another solid wallet release sometime this quarter that will include a whole host of additional Bitcoin backports, numerous bug fixes, and minor enhancements. It will also address the recently reported random lock up issue that some may have experienced.
Basically, we will end up with a much more stable release soon that will become the foundation for 5.0 that’s coming later in the year.
So keep a look out for the release news of the 4.2.1 wallet as it’s not far away!
Other Recent Development Highlights / Reminders
PIVX Core Wallet – Mandatory Update
If you are currently running 4.1.0 or older, you must upgrade to 4.1.1 or 4.2.0 NOW and then make sure that you are on the right chain by comparing your latest block / hash to the block explorers as 4.1.0 or older wallet is no longer valid on the current network. If you need further assistance on this matter, please join our discord!
Do you have zPIV? Spend them ASAP!
PublicCoinSpend v4 (PR #936) function has been incorporated into the 4.x wallet since January 2020. So it is now possible for anyone with any version of zPIV to spend them back as PIV. However, as per the recent Road to 5.0 announcement, the support for zPIV will cease once 5.0 is released.
So we urge everyone with zPIV to convert them back to PIV ASAP and request assistance in PIVX Discord #support channel if you run into any issues or simply have questions.
Complete GitHub Activity
(August 9, 2020 – August 9, 2020)
2 Releases published
49 Pull requests merged
- [Wallet] AvailableCoins remove duplicated watchonly config argument.
- [wallet] List COutput solvability + wallet_ismine refactoring.
- [Core] ModifyNewCoins saves database lookups
- [Core] Alter assumptions in CCoinsViewCache::BatchWrite
- [Build] Fix glibc compat
- [Trivial] [RPC] Fix listcoldutxos help text
- [Build] Bump minimum libc to 2.17 for release binaries
- [Trivial] openssl.org dependency download link changed
- [Validation] Reduce cs_main locks during ConnectTip/SyncWithWallets
- Base work for the Sapling signatureHash
- Sapling Foundations (Build System + ZIP32)
- [Core] Use SipHash for node eviction
- [Wallet] Do not try to resend transactions if the node is importing or in IBD
- [Core] Use SipHash-2-4 for various non-cryptographic hashes
- [GUI] Start masternodes polling timer only when is needed.
- [Core] Remove BIP30 check
- [Net] cs_vSend-cs_main deadlock detection fixed.
- [Wallet] Acquire cs_main lock before cs_wallet during wallet initialization
- Move coinbase & coinstake to P2PKH
- [Backport] Test LowS in standardness, removes nuisance malleability vector
- [Build] Update leveldb to 1.22+
- [Doc] save historical rel notes for 4.2.0 and reset template
- [Net] Remove bogus assert on number of oubound connections.
- [Wallet] Ignore MarkConflict if block hash is not known
- [wallet] Securely erase potentially sensitive keys/values
- [Build] Bump master to 4.2.99 (pre-5.0)
- [Wallet] Simple unused methods cleanup.
- [Model] Wallet interface refactor + code cleanup.
- [Validation] DisconnectBlock updates.
- [Backport] 4.2.0 backports
- [Doc] 4.2.0 Release Notes
- [GUI] Update translations from transifex
- [GUI] Solving old, not loaded at startup, transactions notification issue.
- NU custom activation height startup arg.
- [Miner] Unused reserveKey cleanup
- [GUI] Load persisted transaction filter during start
- [Core] Only include undo.h from main.cpp
- [Build] Require minimum boost version 1.57.0
- [GUI] Recognize key event for clearing console
- [Build] Bump version to 4.2.0rc1
- [GUI] Settings console message moved to read only.
- [GUI] Fix settings language combobox initialization.
- [Cleanup] Transaction primitive unused methods cleanup.
- Move zerocoin validation to its own legacy file.
- [Wallet] AddToWallet split in AddToWallet and LoadToWallet
- [GUI] Periodic make translate
- [GUI] Better start single MN error description.
- [RPC][Wallet] Deprecate internal account system
- [GUI] Replace more deprecated Qt methods
10 Pull requests opened
- [Wallet] add cacheable amounts for caching credit/debit values
- [wallet] AvailableCoins code readability improved
- [Core] per-txout model preparation
- [Model] TransactionRecord decomposeTransaction refactoring
- lock cs_main for Misbehaving
- Change mapRelay to store CTransactions
- Improve usage of fee estimation code
- [Core] Remove priority estimation
- [Masternodes] Missing cs main locks in CalculateScore and GetMasternodeInputAge
- [Build] allow for empty RUST_TARGET in offline builds
19 Issues closed
- Tracking purpose of backport btc#13023
- [Backport] Update/Upgrade sync from upstream.
- zero fee transactions from without GUI
- lock/mutex issues (client crashing), do you have it?
- [Performances] Review LOCK usage
- [Bug][GUI][Trivial] Set language isn’t showing
- [GUI][Trivial] Unselected Custom shows lower fee than possibly accepted
- [Bug] Wallet returns Restart required when it’s not needed
- [RFC] Bump minimum required Boost version to 1.57.0
- pivxd (ARM) crashes after about 15 minutes on Pi4
- [BUG] [CLI] notify options don’t work
- PIVX 4.1.0 failed to open on Mac 10.11.6.
- [GUI][Bug] Console output results are still movable
- [GUI][Bug] Console output results are movable and sometimes is possible to type between the output results
- [Bug] Wallet changing language after restarting depending on OS language settings
- Pivx’ Linux Snap unable to switch Datadir – add removable-media interface
- Cannot install 4.1.0 on MacOS 10.13.6
- missing Zpiv in my 4.1 wallet
- Cross compiling for macOS, complains the files are damaged.
2 Issues opened
- QT won’t work properly when compiled
- [GUI][Trivial] Masternodes section of the FAQ omits hardware wallet support.
Major Development Target Dates
(subject to change and is never a complete list)
Q3 2020 – PIVX Core Wallet 4.2.1 release
Q4 2020 – PIVX Core Wallet 5.0 testnet
Q4 2020 – PIVX Core Wallet 5.0 GA release
Please also check our roadmap page for more info on what else is planned.
Also, there are many other 2020 developments in the works at a project level such as a brand new website, logo refresh, and more. So 2020 is going to be a great year!
Want to contribute?
Anyone and everyone is welcome to contribute to our code on GitHub, and they will all go through the same process of multi-dev peer review and will be merged if it gets enough ACKs!
Language Translation Needed
We also welcome all translators who can assist in making our wallets multi-lingual! From now on, our core wallets will only include support for languages that are at least 80% translated on Transifex. So any extra assistance in this area would be greatly appreciated! https://www.transifex.com/pivx-project/