Cryptocurrency space is progressing rapidly, things are changing quickly and so do the plans. Although initial plans were directed towards v6.0 release, the majority of the community wanted to see the Cold Staking back in action as soon as possible. Community voice was heard and here it is - Cold Staking is coming back!
v5.2.0 is here!
PIVX Core Developers just published the new v5.2.0 wallet release. It is a mandatory wallet upgrade. We are inviting everyone to upgrade their wallets as soon as possible to avoid any unnecessary issues. Everyone needs to upgrade their wallets before the enforcement block 2,927,000, which is expected to happen on July 10th, 2021 at approx. 15:00 UTC. This wallet release contains a protocol version bump to 70922, new consensus rules and improvements that are not backwards compatible with any older wallet versions. Users who don’t upgrade before the enforcement block will end up on a forked chain.
It’s important to note that Masternodes will need to be restarted once both the masternode daemon and the controller wallet have been upgraded.
Latest v5.2.0 binaries can be downloaded here:
And in the GitHub’s repository tag:
Complete list of changes and improvements are publicly available on PIVX GitHub here.
We also suggest everyone to read an official v5.2.0 Release Notes here.
What are the next plans after the v5.2.0 network upgrade?
Knowing that the Tor project will be dropping support for the v2 addresses by August this year, PIVX Core Developer furszy already started working hard on the BIP155 implementation, which will allow PIVX to fully support the newest generation Tor v3 Onion addresses. As we wrote about it earlier this month, it’s another huge 174-commit Pull Request coming from one of the PIVX Core Developers. BIP155 implementation is scheduled to be released as a part of the v5.3.0 wallet release in the upcoming weeks, which will be a non-mandatory upgrade.
Work on the v6.0 is progressing very well, better than expected, but the desire of PIVX Core Developers is bigger than what the current workforce can bite and deliver safely in a short timeframe with proper testing period. With the v5.2.0 network upgrade happening now, it means that the v6.0 major network upgrade will be scheduled for sometime later this year. Having said that, expect that the v6.0 will end up way bigger than it was initially planned. As of right now, v6.0 aims to introduce the entire new system of the PIVX’s tier two Masternode network with the introduction of the very custom implementation of the Deterministic Masternodes (DIP3), Proof of Service for masternodes with the Long-Living Masternode Quorums (DIP6 and DIP7), ChainLocks (DIP8), the entire budget system overhaul with the introduction of the new Governance Graphical User Interface (PR 2406), and more which can be seen by following the work publicly available on PIVX’s GitHub. The other significant additions to the v6.0 which are still not publicly available will be revealed in the near future, making v6.0 the biggest network upgrade PIVX ever had. Stay tuned!
1. Do I have to upgrade?
- Yes. Everyone running the core desktop wallet needs to upgrade to 5.2.0 or higher. No exceptions.
2. When is the upgrade deadline?
- New protocol version network enforcement will occur on mainnet block 2,927,000. That is expected to be sometime around July 9th 2021. To avoid the hassle of recovering a forked wallet, it is highly recommended that you upgrade before then.
3. Do I need to upgrade / restart my masternodes?
- Yes. It is required for both controller & remote masternode to be upgraded / re-started after the upgrade.
4. What if I have my coins on an exchange or mobile wallet?
- As long as that exchange or service upgrades in a timely manner, you won't need to do anything. PIVX team will notify every PIVX-supporting service that we know of to upgrade before the above network enforcement block/date.
5. I upgraded but Cold Staking function still doesn't work.
- That is expected. It will start working after it has been activated on the network shortly after the network enforcement block. We will make an another announcement when that happens.